- winter is here. there is such a beauty in it. the simplicity? maybe. grays, browns, so many shades of green... naked branches twisting up into a white sky. the dark and cold pushing us in to rest whether we want to or not.
- there are three calves. the third was born christmas eve. he is all black and his name is coal. with all of the holiday chaos he was never banded... so now he will be "big black coal the bull"... doesn't that sound like trouble?
- our after the holiday quiet has just begun. it is such a wonderful thing... all of the gathering together, and quality time connecting with our loves. but after it's all over... the quiet and stillness is just as wonderful... and so needed.
- i mentioned before that we were going to do our gifting differently this year. there were three family gifts: the microscope above, a world globe with some (used) geography books and atlas's... all intended for children, and their own stamp carving supplies and ink pads. then they each got one individual gift. it was perfect.
- i have finally started reading a fiction book again, and i love it. i knew i wanted to read this one, and with a name like "the snow child" i also knew that i wanted it to be a winter read.
- an impromptu tea party... because they asked so sweetly. five minutes. hot herbal tea, toasted cinnamon bread that grandma brought from great harvest, and a chilly winter breeze. it is always such a simple and easy way to connect with my girls. and each time i'm reminded why i need to say "yes" more often.
there is a season of rest and recovery ahead...
and the golden opportunity of a new year... full of possibilities and surprises...
i just LOVE a fresh start.