Saturday, March 5, 2016

spring things







  






As far as I'm concerned... spring is here.
When you have a day where there is pouring rain, hail, and then bright sunshine and clear blue skies all in the same afternoon, that is spring in Oregon. The grass is also a pretty good indicator for me. It slowly changes color as spring approaches and when the days reach a certain length, suddenly, the grass begins to almost glow. It is glowing now. The trees are budding and the flowers are popping up... although the flowers have popped up before and then died from snow the next day... I've seen it... I don't trust the flowers anymore. My other indicator that I haven't really witnessed yet... is the birds. When it is truly spring I wake up and hear them singing, loudly, in the morning. It is the most fantastic way to wake up.
I was shocked that Easter is this month. Wasn't it in April last year? Was it? and it seems that just a few years ago it was at the end of April...? hmm. I have four (wait... no five) calendars and, somehow, not one of them had Easter in it. so, I looked it up online and gasped when I saw that it was in March. Just because it feels like everything is happening early this year. Which I am enjoying. Certainly not complaining... just observing. 
This winter was hard on me. The combination of short days and basketball was a bit too much. My two older children both played on separate teams. There was a practice almost every night of the week, and games (plural!) every weekend. My usually slow, restful season was ridiculously busy. I'm going to have to get used to it though because they both loved basketball, especially my daughter, and can't wait for the next season to come. 
But there is spring... I am really excited for spring. We are taking a break from sports this season. The older two kids, and possibly Matt, are going to do the mountain bike racing... which is much less of a commitment and really fun, but no soccer. I have received a bit of guilting over this decision because of the loss of an opportunity to increase their skills, but we have decided to take a break anyway. Not entirely for selfish reasons either, but because we can tell that the kids also need a break from this stimulating schedule. We need a season of rest. We all need time to slow down. I think it will be wonderful. It has been two years since I have had a spring without sports, and I am ready for it.
 I am not a sports person (at all), but I am certainly a spring person. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh I sure hope spring is waiting for me when I get home. I love spring, well, I love all the seasons, but spring with its renewal, its hope, its fresh start..well let's just say it is what I am waiting for this year.

    So wonderful to hear about your decision to let sports go this spring. It can be so hard at times to find the right pace for our families, and even harder to say no when we find the pace too much. I hope you all enjoy the slower pace. Enjoy spring Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh, i love your projects! What is that one with all of the colors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you in the way that I am not a sports person. I too love Spring, it's my favorite season. I don't mind snow and the whiteness of Winter however the temperatures in minus 10 or so is something I dislike about Winter.
    Goodness, I had to take a good look, then "Ohh it is a real bunny!!!!" He is huge and so cuddly looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so ready for spring. Your pictures capture it beautifully...I mean, what is more "spring" than a freaking bunny?
    I support your new sport season decision. I think families need a break from time to time, and kids certainly do. It's good to miss things i think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos makes me feel a lot! they are full of life, full of spring energy, full of tenderness. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it's fun to hang out with your family (and bunny) once in a while, even if your soccer skills suffer in the process. ;) sounds like extremely sound decision making to me! easter is so funny with its date popping up all over the place. you know how it is, when you're the holiday celebrated on the first sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for all of your wonderful support for my decision friends :)

    carlin- it is one of amy butler's honey bun poufs... they are so great! will share more soon!

    maya- thank you! your comment means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete