Sunday, December 3, 2017

these days
















  • This puppy of ours has been growing very fast, as puppies often do. She fits in perfectly here. I am so happy. I think a large part of our success with her is 1. The fact that Matt and I (and Maiko this year) are home most of the time 2. We were mentally prepared for the amount of work and dedication this would all take and 3. The reading that I did to prepare for early training. In fact, I think that may have been one of the most important parts. The books that helped me the most were The Puppy Bible and The Art of Raising a Puppy
  • Her name is Tobin. She is named after a famous woman soccer player that lives in our state and plays for our Portland Thorns. She also plays for the U.S. Women's National Team. I came up with the idea to name her after Tobin Heath, I knew my soccer obsessed family would love it.
  • When soccer season ended things slowed down a bit. So, we quickened the pace again with some home projects... sigh. I am very ready to slow down, but Matt finally got the woodworking bug I have been hoping for years he would catch. Those rolling pulls in the kitchen drawers... I have wanted those for about nine years now. Also, the work on that old dilapidated shed in the back yard, and the work in the cellar.... yeeeesssss. The plan is to turn that shed into a summer house/extra room. One that Maiko could spend his high school years in, and then the girls can take over the upstairs. 
  • I bought a remote for my camera a couple years ago. I finally set it up, along with my tripod, to snap a few family pictures. When I put the pictures on the computer I realized that my teenage son was only smiling in one photo. He was scowling or making goofy faces in all of the other pictures. At first I was upset and I said he would get coal in his stocking this year. But now, I love these photos. I love how they capture the sense of humor he has right now. Also, that last photo where everyone is smiling at him... that one has a fun story too. I was giving random prompts to mix things up... "everyone look at the camera... look at Ollie... look at Tobin..." Maiko thought these prompts were ridiculous and said so. So I said... "everyone look at Maiko!" He was so caught off guard he actually smiled, and everyone else had genuine smiles because we all thought it was hysterical. I am so glad I will forever have this moment caught on camera.
  • I love this month. I love the focus on light, and love, and giving during this dark time of year. We have really gotten into a rhythm with our little family traditions and it all feels so right. So far, my kids have done every bit of decorating and I love it. I spread out and opened our Christmas bins in the attic and every day I let them bring down a few more decorations.
I don't know exactly what it is about December... but it always gets me excited about blogging again. See you soon friends.

3 comments:

  1. Well, hello there! So nice to see you in your space. Beautiful family photos, and goodness Tobin is adorable...great name! I love this time of year too, and we are fully into our traditions and loving it. Wishing you all a beautiful holiday season. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love! and light! great photos, mama!

    ReplyDelete