Thursday, July 12, 2018

The Days are Long and the Season is Sweet






I am absolutely in love with this summer.
It began with a very full schedule.  After school (and work for me) ended in June, new commitments began and we found ourselves committed for most of the remaining month.  But, once those commitments ended we found ourselves tucking back and settling into home quite deeply and avoided leaving and even letting friends know that we were home in order to keep our time completely open and free.
Matt and I both have a long list of projects we would like to complete in this short season.
It is so hard to find the balance between getting out and playing in the beautiful weather with our newly open schedule... but also getting some serious work accomplished while the weather allows... and some serious rest while the schedule allows.
This year I have certainly been leaning on the side of work and rest... and less play... but honestly the work and rest truly feels a bit like play to me.





The job I took on this year at the Montessori allowed me to buy my dream camera.  Well, what I thought would be my dream camera.  I had not used this camera before... I just kind of assumed it was the one I wanted based on the work of others.  But anyway, I have wanted to convert to Canon for years now.  I also knew that my next camera needed to have a full frame censor.  So, I decided the Canon EOS 5d mark iii was the camera for me.  I didn't actually make enough to buy the camera new (I only worked a few hours each day while the kids were in school for a few months).  I was able to buy a used camera though.  I kept my eye out for a good deal, and I found one.  About an hour and a half drive away was a photographer who was leaving the business of weddings and selling his second camera in the price range I could afford.  It truly felt like it was meant to be.  I have been enjoying learning how to use it.  I find I overexpose the photos often, but I do that this time of year anyway.  I still have SO MUCH to learn about this camera, and I only have one prime lens for it, but I am so excited that it's finally mine!







Our dog playing teether ball against herself, and sweet cousins.





If you let your garlic scapes grow and bloom they make the most incredible flowers.



Summer reading.



This next string of photos were taken in Europe by my daughter, her aunt, and her grandma.









The first couple weeks of the trip they jumped around from country to country.  They visited eight countries!  They flew in to Paris, France and then stayed in Belgium, visited the Netherlands, stayed in Luxembourg, and Germany, then Austria, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland.  They then joined another group of lovely friends and began to travel through the southern french countryside.  They have now made their way up north to Normandy, and will end their trip in Paris.  France's Bastille Day falls on my daughter's birthday this year and so she will turn twelve in Paris, France on a day of French celebration!   And then she will come home to us.  I am so excited.






Blooming jasmine, a new hammock (already torn by the puppy... sigh), and fresh plants for the front flower bed.


I did a short sunset session with my sister's sweet little family and following are some of my favorite moments from that session.













This season is a mighty one... with it's long warm days.
Our balance between quiet and fun has felt perfect.  I hope I can keep the balance going somewhat. The end of the season is always a fury and I am ready for that too.  It gets us ready to let go of it, ready for the days to shorten and cool down, of course we are no where near ready for that now, but the time will come.

4 comments:

  1. hellloooooo hello! congratulations on your new camera- that's super exciting. I've been shooting with a Canon Eos 7D for the last few years and despite the crop sensor, I do love it. (though I've never played with a digital full frame before so I've yet to know what all I'm missing) I'm a sucker for overexposing shots myself- I find myself fidgeting with settings in order to do it on purpose quite often- I like the dreamy somewhat ethereal look it gives some photos, for sure. Some of these photos of yours really really caught my eye- love the first one of the succulent, the nightstand photos, the composition of the garlic scapes shot, and the black and white ones from the sunset photo shoot with your sister and her kiddos are SO beautiful!! Glad to hear your summer is at least a bit filled with time for ease and rest. An my goodness this trip of your daughter's! wow! I can't believe she is STILL over there- what an amazing experience for her! (for anyone!)

    cheers from NC~

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! her trip was about seven weeks total! it was hard to commit to that much time without her... but facetime helps (another one of those smartphone things i think you'll love... heh). i love hearing which photos stand out to you :) i always enjoy your photos so much. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun to play with a new camera! i'm happy for you! i would find it hard to pick a favorite, these are all so great, but that one shot of your daughter, maybe braiding some grass (hard to tell exactly what is in her hand because of the way the edges are all dreamy like...) that one definitely grabbed me. also loved your sister's session... you must have some talent at getting people to not pose but to pose... long enough to catch the magic. i have so much better luck with candids than intentional portraits, but maybe i need to keep trying. i am thrilled for your traveler girl and thrilled for you to have her home very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you mary beth!! these were pretty candid. i asked them to step into areas that had the best lighting and then just encouraged the kids to give mama some love, and then i tried the monster faces... which i love :) occasionally i'll tell little ones that if they look into my camera they may see a little bird... lol!!! that gets them to hold still for a second and look at the camera. i definitely am not a big fan of the over-posed shots. they need to have emotion :)

    ReplyDelete